This brief break in your regularly scheduled programming is brought to you by veganism.
You could probably use some more info, huh?
I’ve been a lacto- ovo-pescatarian for four years (though I generally just use the term “vegetarian” to avoid coming off as the most pretentious member of the human race). What began as a way to support my environmentalist leanings (ie, put my money where my mouth is) quickly became one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I felt healthier, my interest in cooking grew into a full-blown passion, and it was dead easy. I found that I didn’t miss meat at all (the odd summer barbecue notwithstanding).
So it was only a matter of time before I started thinking about taking my diet a step further, and experimenting with veganism. To facilitate this, I decided to put the goal of eating vegan for one month on my 30 Before 30 list.
(I originally came across the concept of a list like this from the blog The 30 Before 30 Project. It was about a year ago when I drafted my own list of things to try, buy, fix or do before my 30th birthday rolls around in September 2013. While I won’t be making my entire list public anytime soon, I’ll share a few relevant items here from time to time.)
My month-o-veganism started on Monday morning, with the tasty avocado toast you see above. So far it’s going well, if you don’t count the mad cookie craving I get every day around 3pm. I don’t imagine that I’ll stay vegan once my 30 days are up, but I hope this challenge helps me discover more vegan recipes to add to my roster, and curbs my reliance and cheese and dairy (my best friends, pretty much).
If anyone else is looking for some great vegan and vegetarian resources, I thought I’d share some of my favourite blogs, which I’ve been harvesting for inspiration of late:
- Dana Treat - One of my all-time favourite blogs, written by a fantastic cook and person (and I know, I’ve met her!). Dana’s recipes are vegetarian, though plenty are vegan as well, and most importantly, they’re reliably awesome.
- Fresh 365 - Another vegetarian blog I’ve read for several years, with excellent recipes and engaging writing.
- Oh She Glows - This is a new-to-me vegan blog which I’m really getting into lately. Lots of smoothies and sweets, as well as the usual green fare.
- My New Roots - A friend of mine sent me the link to this vegetarian blog recently and I can’t get enough. The photography is gorgeous and I want to make everything I see.
- Post Punk Kitchen - Probably the most famous vegan cooking blog on the web, I like PPK for the wide variety of recipes.